

APPROVED

MEWEA Executive Board Meeting
Friday, February 17, 2023
Lewiston Auburn Water Pollution Authority
535 Lincoln Street
Lewiston, ME
IN-PERSON & ZOOM

MINUTES

Attendance: Tim Wade, Paula Drouin, Travis Peaslee, Peter Zaykoski, Stacy Thompson, Phil Tucker, Emily Cole-Prescott.

Zoom Attendance: Rob Pontau, Evan Pereira, Jeff McBurnie, Bryanna Denis, Sarah King, Gregg Wood, Mike Guethle, Alex Beuchner.

Absent: Theresa Tucker, Travis Jones, Andre Brousseau, Charlene Poulin, Jennifer Nicholson, Dave Beauchamp, Evan Pereira

Call to Order: President Tim Wade called the meeting to order at 9:06 a.m.

Quorum: It was determined there was a Quorum.

Minutes: Motion made by Sarah King, seconded by Jeff McBurnie, all approved the January 18, 2023, minutes.

Treasurer's Report: Jeff McBurnie indicated the staff is putting together a new chart of accounts. As soon as that is completed, he will get the January financial report out to the board. He reviewed the proposed account change. Jeff will give the report at the April 6th meeting.

Old Business

REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS

DEP Report: Gregg Wood reported the following:

- Brian gave an update on the PFAS, ENR, and MS4 Permit
- Accreditation Rule: Joint Rule between DEP and DHHS. It was adopted yesterday, and is effective immediately,
- Operators Certification – Chapter 531: Comment closed on March 16th. No public hearing scheduled at this time.
- Chapter 533: Could not come to terms with the Stakeholders so will go back and start the process again around June of 2023
- PFAS – Brian Kavanah, Susanne Miller, Andy Smith, Commissioner Loyzim, and Nancy McGrady did a briefing ENR committee yesterday on where the status is at. Andy Smith also was there to try and to keep things in perspective. It was a good summary.

- MS4 Permit: He has another appeal from the friends of the Casco Bay 12 facilities out of 30. They are going to give Casco Bay a standing. They will start the process over. More information coming. Procedural & legal issues to be worked out before they start the process over. He will keep everyone updated as it moves along. Friends of Casco Bay appealed the modification.
- Accreditation Rule was adopted yesterday

Brief questions and answers

Staff Issue – Still four Permitting positions open

JETCC-NEIWPCC: Peter Zaykoski submitted a report.

RECENT ACTIVITIES: The Governor’s proposed budget includes level funding for JETCC in the General Fund. I will be testifying on 2/16 in front of the ENR and AFA committees in relation to our funding.

We are in the midst of our winter/spring training catalog. Our next in-person class will be at LAWPCA, “Sludge Management,” on February 22. We will have had a five-hour remote class on the “Microscopic Examination of the Activated Sludge Process” by Michael Gerardi (two sessions: February 15 & 16) before our meeting and we have an upcoming two-hour course on “Fats, Oils, & Grease: Planning, Management, & Beneficial Reuse” (February 21).

DECISIONS MADE: The Committee has not met since the last MEWEA Executive Board meeting.

ACTION PLAN COMMITTEE/OFFICER ASSIGNMENTS: Exhibitor and attendee registration is open for the North Country Convention. Please share with any interested parties. I still have space on the agenda as well - let me know if you or someone you know would be interested in presenting.

NEXT MEETING/OTHER IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES: The next JETCC Board Meeting will be March 23, 2023. The 2023 North Country Convention will be held at Northern Maine Community College, April 5-6, 2023.

OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS & MISCELLANEOUS:

Peter added the following:

- Thanked folks that sent him letters in support of funding JETCC.
- Proposed money is the same as in past years
- Focusing on the North Country event

LEGISLATIVE ADVOCATE: Jim Cohen reported the following:

- Governor came out with her report on the state of the budget.
- Ton of PFAS Bills
- Ballot question on the CMP take over – Two weeks ago the Secretary of State finalized the language, and the appeal period may have expired. The final language will be: Shall we support the formation of a Qusa governmental power company, governed by an Elected board, to acquire the assets of Maines existing for profit transmission & distribution facilities.

Supporters of the ballot question came up with language that was one sided. The Secretary of State did not accept them.

Bill will be printed in a IB – Will have a Public hearing – Utilities Committee will take this up early March.

- LD 211 – In front of the Utilities Committee. This was a bill that came from Portland Water District.
- Citizens Initiative
- Part K of the budget: The Governor proposed removing the current language that state law says that several million dollars would come out of the liquor fund used as the state match from the state revolving fund.

Had a lot of concerns. They need to testify in opposition to this.

February 28th would me a meeting with Mark Lawrence. He was not aware that this language was put in the budget. This will be late morning at the State House.

LD 437 has been circulating. The budget would strike what was passed in 2019.

NEWEA: Paula Drouin did not submit a report.

She discussed verbally reported :

- Focusing on making arrangements for the DC Fly-In

MWUA: Bruce Berger was not present at the meeting.

MEWEA/MWUA Affiliate: Rob Pontau did not submit a report. He verbally reported:

- MWUA jumped on board with New England Chapter AWWA – also represents a private group – **NEWEA** Inc. The local chapters have banned together.
- Joan gave a brief report – working 15 hours a week with Kate & Cindy backing her when she is not working.
- Will get another ski day reminder out

COMMITTEE REPORTS

AWARDS: The committee did not submit a report. Mike Guethle verbally reported:

- Representing the NEWEA Awards – at the North Country meeting
- Never too early to nominate award participants. He has already gotten 2 recommendations.

Collection System: The committee did not submit a report. Travis Jones was not present.

Communications: Bryanna Denis submitted a report.

RECENT ACTIVITIES:

- **Planning meeting for March newsletter.**

NEXT MEETING/OTHER IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES:

- **Articles due Feb 24th.**

She added the following:

- Publishing the newsletter by the end of March
- Tim will forward her a Presidents Message for the newsletter.

Convention: Phil Tucker/Stacy Thompson submitted a report.

RECENT ACTIVITIES: Ski Day is March 17th at Loon Mountain in NH. We currently have a proposal from Saddleback for 2024 and are looking to get ones from Sunday River and Sugarloaf (March 14th or March 21st).

Additional comments are as follows:

- Would like the 2024 Fall Convention contract from Sunday River

Government Affairs: The committee did not submit a report. Emily Cole-Prescott verbally reported the following:

- Government Affairs committee met on January 27 and will schedule another meeting.
- Amanda Smith attended an ENR meeting on behalf of MeWEA
- Following the SRF match and will provide written documentation.
- LD 188 – Provided testimony neither for nor against
- LD 242 – Amanda Smith is following this bill. They will draft written documentation to so its clear that we are in opposition of this.
- Working closely with Stormwater Committee on a few bills that have come up.
- SRF Match is the biggest bill to date.

Laboratory: The committee did not submit a formal report, but Andy Wendell did forward information via email for inclusion in the minutes, which was verbally reported on by Paula Drouin Andy Wendell was not present

Email from Andy Wendell:

If anyone heard the report of a new PFAS lab in Maine, opening this week in Norridgewock, I can report I made contact with them, Katie Richards in particular. As they get their feet under them and gear up for business in Maine, they are interested in MeWEA, knowing that they may be asked by our members for testing services. She said I can report that:

- They are currently accredited through the MLAP for drinking water method 537.1 (18 PFAS compounds),
- They have an in-house method for testing wastewater and other matrices, but are not yet on the DEP pre-approved list for PFAS testing, but they will apply when given the chance to
- Their standard T-A-T for all testing is 2-weeks.

Membership Committee: Jennifer Nicholson submitted a report. Rob Pontau verbally summarized the report.

RECENT ACTIVITIES: Membership and rates analysis

ACTION PLAN COMMITTEE/OFFICER ASSIGNMENTS: [Jennifer Nicholson](#) has taken over as committee chair and Matthew Densmore will be assisting.

OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS & MISCELLANEOUS: Rob is working with Phil on rates which is now beyond the scope of the membership committee.

Personnel Advancement Report: The committee did not submit a report. Charlene Poulin was not present.

- Working with Phil & Stacy on the Sessions for the fall
- Determining if there will be a Keynote speaker, and if so who.

Pretreatment Report: Terry Tucker submitted a reported.

RECENT ACTIVITIES: Meeting January 19, 2023 at Portland Water District

We discussed the following:

DEP gave a brief update of the current PFAS sampling study. So far all POTWs are meeting the current drinking water standards. They also said that everyone is doing a great job of taking the samples and have not received any field contamination.

EPA stated that even though Method 1633 has been approved it will not be put into the 40 CFR for several years. They also stated that at this time there will be no reporting requirements put into place for at least another 5 years. They are requiring monitoring only for now.

Jay Pimpare also mentioned a supply chain issue with some chemicals due to a huge fire that occurred in Illinois that may affect water treatment facilities mostly and some wastewater facilities.

For the remainder of the meeting Jim Crowley from DEP went over all of the special conditions for mandated programs in MEPDES permits.

Attendees:

Yarissa Ortiz-Vidal (Rockland), Theresa Tucker (York), Judy Bruejnes (MeDEP) James Crowely (MeDEP), Jay Pimpare (EPA), Phyllis Rand (GAUD), Rebekah Sirois (PWD), David Dane (South Portland), and Lisa Andrews (Geosyntec)

NEXT MEETING/OTHER IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES:

October 24-26th Annual NERPCA conference – Lowell, MA

Public Relations: Evan Pereira submitted a report.

RECENT ACTIVITIES:

- Reviewed and finalized updated PR Strategy Plan from Black Fly Media.
- Provided finalized plan and update to municipal stakeholders assisting with funding of plan.

- Held several meetings with PR Committee and smaller break-out groups in late January/early February to develop key storylines and objectives for 2023 including list of priority storylines.
 - Plan is to begin with ‘The Value of Water’, and helping general audience understand gravity and importance that clean water professionals have.
- Pursued PR opportunity presented to MEWEA for interview with farming documentary production team to outline the story of the implications the sludge land application ban has had on the clean water industry in Maine.
 - Thank you to Howard Carter and Emily Cole-Prescott for volunteering to be interviewed and offering Saco WRRF as a host for filming!

NEXT STEPS & MEETINGS:

- Continue to develop and roll out key storylines and media messaging objectives for 2023.
 - Define key legislative initiatives for 2023 that will require narrative direction from clean water professionals, and associated strategy for rollout.
- Hold next PR Committee meeting with Diana of Black Fly Media to regroup and confirm next steps for continued rollout.

Additional comment:

-
- Thanked PR Committee members for all their help

Residual Management Report: Andre Brousseau & Travis Peaslee submitted a report.

RECENT ACTIVITIES:

- Work to move forward and secure funding for the biosolids study
- Continued discussions with pfas destruction technology vendors, biosolid volume reduction vendors, landfill operators, and firms exploring regional treatment solutions

OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS & MISCELLANEOUS:

DEP Waste Diversion Grant

<https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.maine.gov%2Fdafs%2Fbbm%2Fprocurementservices%2Fsites%2Fmaine.gov.dafs.bbm.procurementservices%2Ffiles%2Finline-files%2FRFP%2520202301008%2520Waste%2520Diversion%2520Grants%2520Program%2520Final.docx&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK>

Solid Waste Infrastructure for Recycling (SWIFR) Grant

Programhttps://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2022-12/SWIFR_REO_QAs12.8.22.pdf

Storm Water Report: Sarah King and Jodie Keene submitted a report.

PREVIOUS COMMITTEE MEETING DATE: December 9, 2022

RECENT ACTIVITIES:

- Turnover meeting w/Kristie Rabasca, Sarah King, and Jodie Keene to discuss open and action items for 2023 (resolve committee membership with MEWEA membership, ASCE scorecard, conference information, etc.).
- Sarah King and Jodie Keene are working on 2023 goals and training opportunities to provide to committee for consideration.
- Attended meeting regarding potential chloride legislation introduction to State (Rep. Daughtry). Potentially involve liability limitations for chloride application by certified applicators. Preliminary. Possibility for future committee involvement.
- Continuing to follow MDEP response to LID ordinance comments from EPA and FOCB appeal. Considering engaging committee to determine whether committee will weigh in.

NEXT MEETING/OTHER IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES:

- March 17, 2023; 11:00 pm – 12:00 pm

Treatment Plant Operator Report: Alex Buechner submitted a report

RECENT ACTIVITIES:

TPO: Still waiting to hear from JETCC for getting in state operator exchange program up and running. Board meeting is happening some time in March. Will follow up. Send an email out multiple people to try and get some members for the TPO committee, but did not hear back from anyone. I will try again, but if anyone knows someone interested, send them my way. Met with NEWEA Ops Challenge people at the meeting in Boston. With the joint conference this year, looks like there will be upwards of 15 teams competing. Training day is going to be sometime in April. Tell your friends.

POSTER CONTEST: Also, tell your friends about the 2023 contest. Contemplating using Google Forms for digital submissions and voting for next year. Any thoughts?

MEETINGS HELD/ATTENDED: NEWEA Ops Challenge meeting on 1/24. Looking to set up a TPO committee meeting if I can get any volunteers.

ACTION PLAN COMMITTEE/OFFICER ASSIGNMENTS:

NEXT MEETING/OTHER IMPORTANT DATES/DEADLINES: Ops Challenge training day TBA in Aprilish.

Young Professionals Report: The committee did not submit a report Sierra Kuun was absent.

OFFICERS REPORTS

Presidents Report: Tim Wade led a discussion on the following:

By-Law Changes: Tim Wade indicated the following:

- A by-law notice needs to be emailed out to the membership by March 6th.
- Tim recommends everyone on the board to try and make it to the North Country event. Going to have their business meeting on April 6th

Ad Hoc Committee: For Contract of Administrative Services

- Define group for what MeWEA needs for administrative services
- Focus on needs for services & what are we willing to pay as an organization?
- Bruce Berger previously indicated he will provide a Proposed contract for 2024 to MeWEA by August 1st.
- Wants people who are objective to serve on this committee.
- Like to keep the committee small.
- He would like to cover the committee with folks that were part of the MMA, MWUA and one younger member that is the future of MeWEA.
- Dave Beauchamp has offered to head up this committee.

. This committee will not be providing a RFP. The committee will be just providing the board with what direction the RFP should be written from. The timeframe for this should be by late Spring or early summer.

There was a brief discussion on who should be on the Ad hoc committee. In conclusion, Tim Wade indicated he has the following members that were willing to serve on the Ad Hoc Committee:

Dave Beauchamp

Stacy Thompson

Travis Peaslee

Sarah King

They still need to figure out the slate.

1st Vice President Report: Emily Prescott reported the following:

➤

2nd Vice President Report: Terry Tucker was absent.

Immediate Past President: Dave Beauchamp was absent.

OTHER NEW BUSINESS

- Phil Tucker brought up the discussion of Northern Maine not feeling they are part of the MeWEA membership because they focus on mostly the Southern part of the State. We need to change the view of the Northern part of the state. He welcomes any ideas from the Board. Mike Guethle commented: One of the reasons we were doing the North Country Event was so we can provide training to Bangor/Aroostook on.

By Administrative Guide: Phil Tucker reviewed the Administrative Guide as follows:

- Spring Conference: Do we continue to provide a Spring Conference? Tim thinks this has been talked about a lot, and he thought this was going to be taken out. Phil believes we can do a business meeting at North Country and when there is no North Country we will have to do a Business Meeting via Zoom. Having the Business Meeting can be at the MWUA Conference.
- MEWEA Council Directors and Committee Chair Duties
- Need to bring back the Mentor Program
- The proposed by-law changes need to go out to the Membership by March 6th
- 2023 Fall Convention would be the voting of bringing on the 3 Council Directors along with 2nd Vice President
- Nominating Committee discussion

By-Laws

- Phil reviewed the proposed by-law changes.
- Thanked everyone that helped with the changes to the Admin Guide
- Phil will be sending Joan a packet that needs to go out March 6th to the membership via email. Also need to post to the Website and possibly Social Media.

UPCOMING EVENTS

NEXT BOARD MEETING:

April 6th, 2023 will be at 10:00 – 11:30 am at the North Country Event before the luncheon.

Adjourn: Motion made by Emily Prescott , seconded by Phil Tucker all approved to adjourn the meeting **at a.m.**